About the company :
Good Cycles is a social enterprise that uses business opportunities based on sustainable transport to provide jobs and training for young people aged 18-25 years and those experiencing long term unemployment. Our jobs contribute to local amenity and a sustainable future.
We especially encourage young people to apply, including those of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander backgrounds, migrant or refugee backgrounds, people who are LGBTI+, and people of all abilities (we are willing to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to fulfil the role, but please note this role requires visual inspections, strong bicycle riding skills, strength and flexibility).
Our Vision is to provide young people at risk of disengagement, with employment opportunities that improve their future prospects.
General Terms and Conditions:
- Position Title: Good Cycles Casual Team Member
- Position reports to: Operations manager / Division supervisor
- Direct reports: None
- Position type: Casual
- Location: North Melbourne, Victoria
- Hours: 16 – 32 hours per week, this role may involve 4:30am start times
- $26.46 per hour as per:
- Road Transport and Distribution Award 2010 [MA000038]
- Casual, Technical field – No qualification – 0 years of relevant work experience.
A casual Street Services team member in our City Services Infrastructure division is responsible for:
City Services – Infrastructure:
- Cycling around Melbourne CBD,
- Locate reported hazard from provided documentation,
- Assessment & repair of damage to footpaths – grouting,
- Visual inspection of area to identify other defects & hazards,
- Reporting of tasks done and identified issues.
Workplace Health and Safety:
- Many of our roles involve cycling on busy streets; it is of vital importance that care is taken at all times to ensure personal safety
- Awareness of maintaining a safe work area for the general public.
- Cleaning and maintenance of vehicles, bikes, equipment and space that you use
General: At all times Good Cycles is being represented and your personal presentation to the public must reflect this
Other duties as required: Good Cycles is growing and we regularly add new tasks
Skills and Experience
- This role involves grouting footpaths by hand, you must have good strength and flexibility.
- You must be a strong cyclist, with confidence in the busy on-road urban environment and willing to cycle in most weather conditions.
- You must have a good understanding of the road rules and how they apply to cyclists.
- Good navigational ability (able to follow maps and find the best route to locations).
- You must be reliable, punctual and trustworthy.
- Some cleaning experience or practical knowledge of working outside will be highly regarded.
- Willing to work alone or in small teams under the guidance of the Street Operations Supervisor.
- High motivation to complete work on time and in full, and willing to accurately report your daily activities.
- High level of judgement and ability operate independently – shows a high standard of professional and personal integrity. Has the ability to resolve minor problems. Operates with independence and completes work to the expected standard.
- Builds and nurtures good working relationships – through positive communication with Good Cycles staff, customers and members of the public in order to contribute to our inclusive team environment and the Good Cycles culture.
- Keen to learn and grow – personally and professionally. Work with us to find out what your next professional step will be.
- Performance-focused – Organised and motivated to get the job done.
- Safety focused – be a good role model in all areas of employment and making sure that you and the rest of your team get home safely every single day.
How to Apply:
Please don’t write us a long application, but instead send us one document including:
- A short letter outlining why you really want to join Good Cycles and what your goals for the future are.
- How you can meet each of the 8 required ‘Skills and Experience’ statements outlined above (less than one page please).
- How you demonstrate each of the 5 ‘Key Attributes’ outlined above (again, no more than one-page thanks!)
- Your current CV
Send your application to our Employment Programs Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions about the role, call our Operations Manager, Kelly, on 0477 011 306.