If you would like to get a job in hospitality, whether it’s in a fast-food restaurant or cafe or if it’s a full time or part time role, then you need to prepare yourself with a strategy to get your foot in the door for an interview.
The hospitality industry can be a very rewarding industry to work in if you like interacting with others. It requires you to be face-to-face with customer’s on a daily basis. If you would like to get a job in hospitality and work for organisations like McDonalds, KFC, Hungry Jacks, Starbucks or The Coffee Club to name a few, you need to demonstrate that you understand what good customer service is.
Hospitality is an industry that prides itself on customer service and offers many young people, like yourself, the opportunity to work in a fast-paced environment that can be very challenging yet rewarding. There have been many young people who have started their career by working in the hospitality industry. You will find many have worked in hospitality their whole life. It’s a great job for networking if you have the confidence to build relationships with your clients. If you work hard and provide a great service, customers will recognise this and you never know what opportunities they could connect you to in the future.
Fast-food restaurants like McDonalds and KFC are recognised for their commitment to training their staff, which is why they have been so successful. Having this on your resume shows that you are able to work in a fast-paced environment, can work under pressure, in a team and provide good customer service, opening your doors to more opportunities in the future.
What do I need to do?
The goal is to get that first interview opportunity. Know your self-worth so you can demonstrate this to the interviewer. The interviewer will most likely be the manager or the business owner of the cafe or restaurant. They have a vested interest of who they welcome into the business as they will most likely be working with that person on a daily basis. It’s important to demonstrate that you’re willing to help them provide great customer service to ensure their business is successful. Managers and business owners want to invest in young people like yourself because they need reliable staff who offer good customer service and can work flexible shifts. More often than not, they need the flexibility to on board more staff members at their busiest times of the day and on the weekend.
Imagine a job where you are surrounded by likeminded people, who value the flexibility to work and study and a job that requires you to interact with customers in a fast-paced environment. The hospitality industry can be a fun environment to work in if you can find a great employer that will offer you lifelong skills that are practical and can’t be taught in education. If you show them that you have a willingness to learn and work hard, they will surely welcome you into their business.
Key areas to focus on are:
- A tailored resume (See our resume tips!) and cover letter showcasing why you make the perfect fit for the cafe or restaurant
- Demonstrate what characteristics and traits you have that would allow you to perform in the role
- How can you show them that you understand great customer service?
- Properly read the job ad and make sure you meet the requirements to apply for the job and if you don’t, have a valid explanation of why they should still consider you
- Prepare for the interview! For more on interviews, see our Top 12 Interview Tips and our Top 11 Interview Questions with tips on how to answer them.
What can the hospitality industry offer you?
- A great way to start your career
- A fast-paced working environment that is customer focused
- In a fun, positive working environment
- Networking opportunities
- Be provided with training to up-skill yourself
- Opportunities to be promoted from within
Does this sound like something you would like to be a part of? If so, learn more about what soft skills you need to take that first step. Large organisations like McDonalds, KFC or Hungry Jacks, usually have a careers page where you can log in and register your interest. If it’s a smaller business such as an independent cafe or restaurant, tailor your resume and cover letter to them and go and introduce yourself face-to-face. Those who apply face-to-face in these types of organisations have a better chance of getting the job as you have had the confidence to turn-up to their workplace, well-dressed and with a great attitude.
What can Keyba Careers do to help you?
Why not train yourself on a crash course beforehand so you have that competitive edge to stand out.
Log onto our program and learn the following:
- How to get a job – this lesson is FREE
- Gain an understanding of business in today’s world
- Understand what good customer service is and why it’s so important
- How to have a good sales approach
- How to sell yourself over the phone
- Learn how the recruitment process works
- Develop your career plan